What did I do to help shape his/her world today? This is a question mothers and mother-figures often ask themselves. The discussion of motherhood seems to arouse strong emotions in us. We all come to the discussion with our own personal experience, yet one thing that we can all agree on is the relationship (or lack thereof) between a mother and a child is a vital part of helping to shape us. And how we see ourselves in the world.
The relationship with our mother often establishes a pattern of future relationships.Which is why many of us will sit in church today silently battling the internal conflict of the “Good” mother. As Sista LaKeysha (a safe name for us because there isn’t a LaKeysha in our wards...currently) stands up today and shares how wonderful her mother was. You’ve heard it before:
“I’m so grateful for my wonderful mother and the example she was to me growing up. Everyday when my 12 brothers and sisters and I came home from school, my mother had fresh baked cookies for us with a cup of freshly squeezed milk from our family cow Daisy. She got her Ph.D. from BYU in Early Childhood Education with a minor in Psychology, just so she could be of aide to her children when we needed her. I don’t know what I would have done without the love and support of my wonderful mother…"
C'mon Sistas, sit up a little higher in those seats. Please stop beating yourselves up because you weren’t like Sista LaKeysha’s mother. The person we make our mothers out to be in our adult minds are often very different from the mother we had as young children, and that person is different from the mother we had in our pre-teen and teen years. The point is, we should no more beat ourselves up over Sista LaKeysha’s experience than we should over Sista Becky’s. Whose story we may have heard as well:
“Hello, I’m Becky and I honestly don’t know why the Bishop asked me to speak today. Ummm, and I really don’t know why he asked me to speak right after Sista LaKeysha, because our lives couldn’t have been more different. Ummm, I really struggle with Mother's Day. I didn’t have the best mom growing up. My mother was emotionally and physically abusive. She had some addictions and we often went without because of her issues. She often left my two brothers and I in adverse situations that were beyond our control. If it weren’t for the mercy of strangers our lives may have turned out completely different. My number one goal was to be completely different then she was, and I am…!"
Okay, that was a bit dramatic. However, just as you shouldn’t celebrate not being like Sista Becky’s mother, you shouldn’t beat yourself up for not being like Sista LaKeysha’s mother. As we start down the rocky path of motherhood most of us have no idea what is going to be asked of us in the process of parenting another one of God’s children. Even when we start that journey with the best of intentions, the entire process holds countless surprises. Some women can’t wait to be mothers and then realize too late they probably should have waited. Some women wait then realize they could have started earlier (we don’t know that person, but one of you might). The reality is being a mother offers up multiple opportunities for helping or hindering our children toward adulthood.
As mothers we have many truths (not really, but we believe them to be true). When children behave inappropriately (in public), it’s the mother’s fault. When children are well behaved, it’s because they were brought up “right”. Because of the widespread tendency within our culture to blame the mother, it's common for those of us who have braved the rapid waves of mothering to live with haunting questions about what we did or did not do in shaping our children's lives. "Mother's guilt" is a common ailment, especially among LDS Women. Whether you have mild, infrequent discomfort or full anxiety attacks, very few women (even those who don’t have children) escape “Mother's guilt.”
The truth is, motherhood (womanhood) is difficult. For some, the demands of both are met with ease; for others, the demands are simply too much. We are the bridge between generations. It is wise for us to try to remember and be merciful towards those who have and still stumble as they continue trying to establish a foundation on motherhood. Also, we should celebrate with our sistas who seemingly have it figured out as they soar beyond the limitations we may have set for ourselves.
Today it is wise to remember the women who have influenced our lives with some justice (Lest we deceive ourselves, setting standards that would make even Mary the mother of Jesus feel inadequate), but mostly mercy. Because we are all simply doing the best we can with what we've been given. As our MoDea (Mormon Madea) says “When you know better, you do better.” Here is to wishing us all better days ahead.
Happy Mothers Day,
Sista Beehive and Sista Laurel
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Have I done any Good In His/Her World Today?
Sunday, May 08, 2011
11 comments

Although I had an amazing mother (and trust me, if you met her you'd know I'm not just exaggerating), I still struggled a bit today as I sat in Relief Society and heard about all the attributes that are "inherent" in women. I'm sorry, but I just don't possess some of those qualities, and you know what? That doesn't make me a horrible person nor does it mean that I will be a terrible mother. It is just who I am.
ReplyDeleteOne of our speakers today for mothers day said "we all have a mother and our own agency. some of you had mothers that you strive to be like, some of you have mothers you strive to be opposite of. God gave us a choice and I made mine and hope my children will appreciate what I have chosen to do as a mother for them. If not, well they have their agency too!"
ReplyDeleteI smiled and thought "well said, we can not worry about if our all is enough, we just need to do what we can".
Happy mothers day to us who try (whether we fail or suceed we try!)
This is exactly what a friend and I were talking about last night. We decided that Mother's Day talks are like getting fouled in the last 2 seconds of a game in which you're behind by 1 point. And the coach, for a pep talk, says to you: "Now, Mom, just remember that this game is the most important game in your life. And you have to make both shots or you'll forever regret it. Oh! and by the way, to make you feel better, let me tell you about an amazing player named Michael Jordan who hardly ever made any mistakes EVER!"
ReplyDeleteI was laughing so hard -- yeah, let's stress us moms out just a bit with that kind of pep talk. I'll have to send this on to my friend.
those who know me well know my motto is: "guilt is for sissies". i don't have time for guilt. either i do what i know i should do or i don't. it's all about choices and guilt simply holds us back and is an albatross around our neck.
ReplyDeletewhen it comes to mother's day talks i think we dummy it down. it's not to talk about cookies and laundry and kissing boo-boos. it's about fulfilling our part in the plan of salvation, whatever that part is. maybe my plan is different than sister whoever sitting next to me. i embrace those differences.
Hear, hear!
ReplyDelete=)
It is so hard for women to hear men putting women on a pedestal. Because we feel as though we fail because we don't live up to every aspect of their ideal. Even if I don't like them!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing better lately. I realize that most people who are talking about their moms on Mother's Day are skewing things to the positive. Besides, I'm not trying to keep up with anybody anymore.
It's such a relief!
wow! you nailed it did you! thank you...thank you!
ReplyDeleteJulie in Detroit
Amen!
ReplyDelete~LM in Las Vegas
Loved this post; you hit on all of the points of the guilt of Mother's Day. Yes, I too struggled with being a Mother to 6 children; but now as a grandmother I view things in a different way. I do know that I did my best under the circumstances that I was in; which I didn't feel that way then.
ReplyDeleteI have a more positive view of mothering and I am certainly enjoying my grandchildren. My advise has always been enjoy the moments of mothering they go by quickly.
Blessing to you for a well written post.
Beautiful! Thank you for this. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this post. I have often wanted to be able to give Sister Becky's talk verbatim, and then to cancel Mother's Day completely. I guess the point is we just need to be the best mothers that we can, no matter where we came from. We all have our issues, and those don't need to hold us back from being good mothers. I have struggled forever with the terrible fear that I will be like my mother, and have always hated Mother's Day. Turns out I have a choice, and am doing the best I can.
ReplyDelete